Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Niagara Falls is Ridiculous

I just realized that I promised to update you on our trip to Connecticut and then bailed on my promise. Sorry. Here's the update. All went much better than expected with Duncan. We probably had a total in-car cry time of 73 minutes, which is not too bad for 22 hours of driving (not counting stops at restaurants and hotels). Our visit with Daryl's aunt and uncle was also very nice. Duncan got to go to the beach. What a spoiled baby!




On the way home from Connecticut, we stopped at Niagara Falls. We got there at night and decided to stay at a hotel so that we could see the falls at night with the colored lights and during the day...um..with the big yellow light. The night we arrived, we walked the ten minute walk to the falls and were quite surprised to find that we had somehow teleported to Las Vegas.... Oh wait, nope, we were still in Niagara Falls. What is going on with Canada? What is all this crap?



Luckily, the craziness stops when you get down to the falls and then it's really beautiful. When you actually see the falls in person, it is hard to believe that even the dumbest of knuckleheads would ever contemplate trying to go over them in a barrel let alone actually try it. So much water going oh so fast.

Of course, we went back in the day time to see if the falls looked any cooler, and of course, they did. On our way out of the hotel, Daryl and I noticed that there was a nice view of the falls out the window at the end of the hallway. But wait, what is that sticking up high into the air? An observation tower? Oh, no...that's the WWE Pile-Driver ride. What was I thinking? Why shouldn't the WWE Pile-Driver be impeding my view of one of nature's most awesome spectacles? (Check out the picture to your left. Yup, that's it next to the Hard Rock sign.)

After taking our daytime trip to the falls, we were walking back to the car, we had to walk up the crazy street with all the neon lights. It was daytime, so the neon wasn't nearly as crazy. But there was one thing that was really crazy. There were Mennonites all over the place! Eating ice cream, starring at all the signs for the wax museums, looking ponderously at the Pile-Driver ride. The Mennonites were quizzical to be sure. I wanted to run up and grab one of them by his beard and say...."NOOOOO!!! This isn't it. This isn't really how all of contemporary society is. We DON'T have WWE Pile-Driver rides on every corner normally. This is not normal." But I didn't. I let them wonder. I let them eat their ice creams in peace. I really wanted to take a picture too. But, I restrained myself. Everyone would have accused me of photoshopping it anyway.

No comments: