Wednesday, April 26, 2006

What is Happening to Me?


Today I was driving to work and I had to come to a conclusion that I didn't like. I was enjoying listening to a song by the Barenaked Ladies. I cranked up "Pinch Me" and sang at the top of my lungs so that all the other drivers on I-94 would look at me weird (which they did). Then, my exit came, the song ended, I had to see that guy that stands at the top of my exit ramp with his giant sign that says he's a disabled vet and that no, your money won't go for drugs or alcohol. For God's sake. Why couldn't the song last a little longer?
Here's the rub. I've always loathed BNL (aside from "If I had a Million Dollars"). Maybe it's because of the one guy's voice or the fact that they have a song called "Be My Yoko Ono," which runs into a whole other topic of things I don't like. What's going on here? Why the sudden change? Will it be like in college when I hated, hated, hated Our Lady Peace and then decided to go buy their CD? Hm...
Here's the BNL lyrics that I sang the loudest to:
On an evening such as this
It's hard to tell if I exist
If I packed the car and leave this town
Will you notice that I'm not around?
I could hide out under there
I just made you say 'underwear'
I could leave but I'll just stay
All my stuff's here anyway.
It's like a dream - you try to remember but it's gone, then ya
Try to scream but it only comes out as a yawn, when ya
Try to see the world beyond your front door.
Take your time cos the way I rhyme's gonna make you smile, when ya
realize that a guy my size might take a while, just to
Try to figure out what all this is for.

I have another conundrum. I was listening to "My Humps" on the way home from class. Why can't I turn that song off? It's degrading, derogatory, and dumb. The three D's. But I sing to that too. The best line is, "What you gon' do wit all that breast? All that breast inside that shirt?" What kind of a question is that?? If you have never read the lyrics to "My Humps," you must. It's an experience you must have before you die. And you can help me figure out why I don't turn off the song.

Ha Ha....Do you want to hear the karaoke version???

Since I'm putting on all these song links, here's one for Holly.

8 comments:

CookieMom2DDogz said...

The older you get, the worse it gets. I hate hate hate Neil Young. He's such a human scarecrow. I'd rather hear WRIF's Drew sing his mocking version of "Old Man Look At My Life", than to actually hear Neil Young wobble through it. But...lately I have kinda, sorta, not wanted to hurl when hearing some of his stuff. Check it out:
http://sg1.allmusic.com/cg/smp.dll?link=w7ywg56vjzpnfeucqcsrez9&r=20.asx

CookieMom2DDogz said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
CookieMom2DDogz said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

uh-oh. The link I tried to post above was too long. Here's the whole thing.
http://sg1.allmusic.com/cg/smp.dll?link
=w7ywg56vjzpnfeucqcsrez9&r=20.asx

CookieMom2DDogz said...

Um...but you have to cut and paste the url one chunk at a time, I guess. Oh, and all the deleted comments are mine, trying to fix the link. Sigh.

CrazySchmals said...

I don't know, Mom. I'm listening and trying to find the good in it, but I just can't.

Anonymous said...

i have to agree...my hatred of U2 and Rod Stweart is well publicized. Latley tho, I seem to be cracking. Thank goodness, more so on the U2 issue than Rod Stewart. I guess we just change as we get older and hopefully wiser.

I must say I have been waiting for ONE of my sisters to realize that the humps song embodied the DDD factor. That is a song I will never enjoy. Black eyed peas, I shake my fist at you!!!

Anonymous said...

Well, although Sandy liking BNL is hard to imagine (but I can't wait to tell Chip), it's not as hard to imagine as it was for me to see her owning a cat. But if that happened, anything can.

Sandy, this does not mean that I will change my mind about the Dave Matthews Band.